7.16.2009

My "New" Family

So, like I said, I ventured to South Dakota with my husband to meet and spend some time with a lot of people on his side of the family.

This is me with our nephew, Grant. Grant is a preteen ready for anything. He is the most intelligent, fun, easy going, adventurous 12 year old I have ever met. You can tell that he has been raised right, and has a great sense of realism. I was so lucky to be able to interact with him this weekend, because his vote really counts! :-) He was obsessed with bottle rockets, driving his grandpa's Mule (pictured here) and loved hanging out with Uncle Scooter. I am blessed to have inherited a nephew like him!

These are my nieces, Jenn and Sam. One of the best things about my time with them was that I was able to befriend and relate to them very well - and the responded to me! I'm less of "Aunt Krystal" and more of just Krystal... which is nice when it comes to teenagers. Jenn is a very smart and sweet girl, very talkative and outgoing. We got to know each other pretty well and she was very open with me about her life and her choices. Sam is a beautiful girl, with a beautiful soul. Quieter than Jenn, but I still able to connect with her. I couldn't have asked for better nieces, I love them!

This is my mother in law, Leann. When a bride thinks about what her future will be like with the addition of her mother in law, she fears the worst and hopes for the best. I admit, I was weary, just because I had only met her once before, at the wedding, and had not gotten to spend much time with her or get to know her and vice versa. She was very curious about me and wanted to get to know me better than just emails. She is a very gracious woman, very generous and was as sweet as could be. We got a couples chances to talk just us, and this has helped our relationship. She is a very independent woman, and it reflects in her personality. I am lucky because we get along very well and have great communication. This is her on her pride and joy, her bike!

This is my..step father-in-law, Dick. He's great man, very amusing and funny. Like most men his age, he has a very interesting sense of humor, and he was always around for a laugh. Very sweet and was very easy going. He even got in on our Catch Phrase game, although we did create a rule for him and Grant that if you were too old or too young to know what the word was, you could skip it... and when Dick got "Bling Bling" and thought it was a panda, we all died laughing!

This is my brother in law, Dave. He is am amazing guy, and truly the most patient and caring dad to his kids. Dave and Scott have had a tried relationship in the past, but seeing them hang out and talk this weekend gives me lots of hope for their future. Dave is fun and sweet to me. We had a great time playing family football on the same team, and we also bonded in ways of deep conversation. I cannot wait for future times spent with him and the family.

This is my sister in law, Hopi! (We are pictured here at my rehersal dinner this past spring). We had the best time this weekend with each other. We were practically inseperable, binding and talking and teaching and learning. I don't think I would have made it through the weekend with as much sanity as I did without her. We needed this time together to really know what each of us was getting in the other, and it was amazing, She is by far one of my most favorite people. She is very inspiring. I love her so much! She is honest, gentle, kind, intellegent, but at the same time SO MUCH FUN! Cant wait to see her again.

Here I am with Scott's paternal cousins, Shannon (left) and Keri (far right) with their men, Tim and Aaron. They were very excited to meet me, as I was to meet them. Both of them were very sweet and I loved them and their families! Keri and Aaron are even talking about coming down for a visit next year!

This a group shot we got of the family with cousins and families from Scott's dad's side... After me and Scott in the middle, going right is Keri, her daughter Sophie, Aaron, Shannon's son Brandon, Shannon, Tim, Shannon's daughter Megan, and Scott's Aunt Lynn and her husband Dan.

So, here is my new family! I had the best time getting to know each of them better, and made lots of memories over the weekend. I miss all of them very much, but Watertown, SD and Loveland, CO are only a few layovers away!

2 comments:

  1. So I agree with you that it has taken me a while to update mine, but look who's talking! ;]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now let's not skip the entire month of August without making a post...

    ReplyDelete